Since the founding of the Sammamish Independent, a core part our mission has been to train the next generation of journalists among the students in our local schools.
Our community newspaper would not be possible without the dedication, perseverance and creativity of our student volunteer reporters and contributors. As part of our youth journalism program, we teach our students how to produce credible and well-written news stories to inform our fellow neighbors in Sammamish.
Today, we are announcing a $1,000 scholarship, open to all eligible high school seniors and current college students, as recognition for the valuable service they have performed for our community.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for this scholarship:
- 10 published bylines on the Sammamish Independent.
- A byline with two or more authors counts as 0.5 for each author.
- Each podcast episode counts as 1 byline for each team member who worked on it.
- Acceptance and enrollment in a two-year or four-year college degree program.
- High School Diploma
- High School GPA: 2.5 or above
If you would like to apply for this scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an application. The 2021 application deadline is Friday, June 11 at 11:59 p.m.
We are committed to supporting our students as they sustain and grow our community news platform. We also hope they incorporate the valuable lessons from their Sammamish Independent experience when they pursue higher education in any field of study.