Sammamish Independent Code of Ethics
Seek and report the truth
- Report the news accurately, thoroughly and in context.
- Be honest in the way we gather, report and present news.
- Be persistent in the pursuit of the whole story.
- Hold factual information in opinion columns and editorials to the same standards of accuracy as news stories
- Seek to gain sufficient understanding of the communities, individuals and stories we cover to provide an informed account of activities.
Serve the public interest
- Uphold First Amendment principles to serve the democratic process.
- Be vigilant watchdogs of government and institutions that affect the public.
- Provide the news and information that people need to function as effective citizens.
- Provide a public forum through our Op-ed section for diverse people and views, and encourage understanding of diverse segments of our community.
- Promote understanding of complex issues.
Exercise fair play
- Treat people with dignity, respect and compassion.
- Correct errors promptly.
- Strive to include all sides relevant to a story and not take sides in coverage.
- Explain to readers our journalistic processes.
- Use unnamed sources only as a last resort.
- Be accessible to readers.
- Avoid potential conflicts of interest.
- Maintain an impartial relationship with anyone seeking to influence the news.
- Be free of improper obligations to news sources, newsmakers and sponsors.
- Clearly differentiate sponsored content from news.
Act with integrity
- Act honorably and ethically.
- Obey the law.
- Observe common standards of decency.
- Take responsibility for our decisions.