Check out the open volunteer roles below to see if you or someone you know who lives and/or goes to school in Sammamish may be a great fit.
Directions for applying are within each job description.
Reporter We are currently expanding our team and looking for reporters.
Reporters work closely to cover an assigned beat. They will work closely with an editor to develop story ideas, find sources to interview, conduct interviews, do research, and write captivating stories to be published.
The ideal candidate is someone who has good writing skills, a keen interest in journalism and newswriting, and is open to working with others to revise and refine their work. Above all, a successful candidate is one who is interested in meeting people and telling their stories.
To apply, please contact Lin Yang at email@example.com and submit the following items:
- Contact Information: Full Name, phone number, email address, school and graduation year
- Why you want to be a reporter for the Sammamish Independent (short answer, no more than 100 words)
- A writing sample that represents your best journalistic or written work
Business Editor We are currently looking for a volunteer Business Editor to manage the business section of our newspaper. The business community in Sammamish is very unique, predominantly consisting of small retail businesses as well as home businesses. In addition, with the economy in Sammamish closely tied to Seattle and the Eastside, many regional trends will have an impact on the livelihoods of people who live here.
The Business Editor will manage coverage of these topics, and work closely with two beat reporters to produce stories on the business environment in Sammamish. The Business Editor will also serve as a member of the Editorial Board of the Sammamish Independent, and help guide the broader direction of content for the newspaper.
The ideal candidate is someone who has a keen interest in business news, is well connected with the business community in Sammamish, and has a passion to work with and mentor high school students.
- Manage two business reporters in the production of short and long form business stories.
- Develop story ideas and assign them to the reporters.
- Share sources and help open doors to people the reporters can interview.
- Do the first round of review and editing for business stories
- Serve on the Editorial Board, including monthly meetings and helping to make content-related decisions.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings to share story ideas
- Estimated 3 to 5 hours a week commitment.
- Good writing and editing skills, preferably with prior print media experience.
- Experience working with and mentoring high school students.
- Familiarity with the business community in Sammamish. Business or entrepreneurship experience is a plus.
To apply, please contact Lin Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of why you are interested in the role, as well as either a resume or a LinkedIn profile.